Child Custody Lawyers in Tennessee Assisting Kingsport, Bristol and Johnson City
Experienced child custody lawyers in Tennessee creating workable solutions
Custody is one of the most critical issues in divorces that involve children. The custody arrangement adopted by the divorcing parents has significant impact on the children, and must be considered very carefully. Tennessee child custody laws are based on the principle of the best interest of the child, which entails several factors:
- The relationship between the child and parents or caregivers
- The mental and physical health of the parents or caregivers
- The preference of the child, if the child is old enough (at least age 12) and mature enough to make a reasonable choice
- The ability of the parent or caregiver to provide food, clothing, education and medical care for the child
- Any history of physical or emotional abuse on the part of the parent(s) or caregiver(s)
- The willingness of each parent to foster a relationship between the child and the other parent
In some divorces — especially in acrimonious ones — determining the best interests of the child can be difficult. A competent Kingsport child custody lawyer can make a real difference in helping you establish a custody arrangement that works.
Child custody and child support are closely related
In the past, sole custody was the predominant custody arrangement. Today, however, this is not a foregone conclusion. Working with an effective Kingsport child custody attorney, you can devise a plan that involves both parents, such as:
- Joint custody — in which both parents have legal custody and/or physical custody of the children
- Split custody — in which one parent has full-time custody over some children and the other parent has full-time custody over the other children
- Alternating custody — in which the children live for a specified amount of time with one parent, then for a comparable amount of time with the other parent
Maintaining a solid relationship with your children in the aftermath of divorce is extremely important to both you and them. The lawyers at The Law Office of Gilly Hill & Schaefer can give you the practical help you need to nurture and protect this relationship.
Compassionate attorneys dedicated to creating effective custody arrangements
The Law Office of Gilly Hill & Schaefer Kingsport child custody and child support lawyers serving Bristol and Johnson City, TN are there for you when the unexpected happens. We believe in creating custody solutions that work for all. Located in Kingsport, we serve clients throughout Tennessee. Call us at 423-246-3811 to arrange for a free initial consultation, or contact us online.